Santa Cruz

Hey all,

Santa Cruz was awesome. I got through my first two days of sailing instruction (three more weekends to go) quite handily. And on the real ocean. The second day our little boat was deeply heeled in steady wind, bouncing off two and three foot swell.

Try that in SF Bay. There's plenty of wind, but not the wave action.

I loved it.

The water in Santa Cruz, unlike the Bay, is also blue, gorgeous, rich, full blue. It's a wilder, more natural place. It's farther, yes, but worth the drive some weekends a year. Plus, I'm very proud of my accomplishment. In fact, one of the women on the boat was very afraid and was taking the class to get over her fear. It was great to see that. I was only a little afraid once or twice, like when the instructor took the tiller from me because I was doing something stupid; mostly I just had wild, wild fun.

And everyone was very nice to me. Jamie, the guy who fixes the boats (what else do you call that?) took me the second night to a tiny outdoor restaurant where all the skippers were hanging out, many with their families. It's a tight community, sea folk. I wish I lived closer. The mountains are great, but hot in summer and the mosquitoes suck, and the sea...enormous beauty. I'm lucky I get some of both.

We even called the coast guard for another vessel in distress.

We're tooling along, sailing fast (here I'm supposed to say something like 'close-hauled on the port tack') and as we neared this larger boat we could see the people waving on the deck. As we got closer that consonantal sound came clear across the water...'heeeeelp...heeeelp, we can't steeeer.'

They said help, looks from one student to another. My skipper got on the radio and called the coast guard who tore up in one of those twin outboard zodiacs in less than a minute, truthfully. We 'hove to,' or parked, on their weather side (they were downwind of us, my this is fun). The poor people on the larger boat had to be towed in. My skipper said boats like that have auxiliary steering, emergency rudders or something, but either they didn't have one or didn't know how to use it. Sad, really, but nothing bruised save egos (and maybe a pocketbook). They were so panicked they weren't using their own radio until after the coast guard showed up. They were not in any real danger.

It wasn't until after everything was over that my skipper told us 'I'm just glad I didn't have to leave you in the boat.'

I hadn't thought of that.

Sailing is one of those hobbies that has many faces. It can be all about style, comfort, cruising along in mild weather getting a tan; or as wild as anything, brushing face with what one of Crane's characters calls 'the seven mad gods of the sea.' Or travel. Or racing (this is huge). Or luxury for those who can afford it (thinking about one's investments while getting said tan). Or making a living, even.

If I were a younger man, I honestly think I'd be intrigued about making my living, or part of it, under sail at sea. I never seriously considered teaching scuba, and wanted to teach English in college since I was 16. But sailing the sea....lucky I'm 40, tenured, with a family. Plenty of time to consider my hobby, and enough time off to pursue it, before I run off on some transpacific passage as crew. My instructor, a young guy, maybe 30, spent several years working and sailing on a tall-mast square rigger that used to berth in Santa Cruz. How amazing is that? Like Patrick O'Brian, without the killing.

But then I've only sailed a few days in my life, and only been through the first two days of classes. Lots left to experience.

This was just a quick note to let all know things went well, more than well. S was at Reggae on the River, and I didn't get a call from her yesterday (she had to use other people's phones) or this morning (which sucks, I worry) but she should be home this afternoon. And Mikey comes home from Europe Wednesday.

Pray for his travel, please.

t

Comments

FunKiller said…
T, thanks for stopping by my humble blog. I'm glad to hear the sailing lessons went well. For some reason as I read your most recent post visions of Hemingway were dancing in my head. Go figure.

I hope Mike's return home was a safe one. I had a couple of students return three days ago from a month in Europe and they seem changed. I hope your son's experience was equally positive and educational. Hope all is well. Peace, brother.
I love to hear the excitement in your voice as you recount your time on the water. May there be many more such times.

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....