I think I should read the rest of the novels

Apparently my Harry Potter alter ego is Harry himself; I always did like his disregard for convention and innate sense of destiny. According to the quiz, "You can be a little reckless and hot-headed at times, but a more brave and courageous friend would be hard to find."

I find this a little uplifing today.

Last night after my very happy post I ran out of time rushing to EFM and had Del freaking Taco for dinner; S and I got in a pretty big conflict, again, and have only partly patched it, and then I couldn't find my truck keys this morning so even though I telecommute today I'm stuck here as far as errands and taking Mikey place goes. That last may not be a horrible thing as I have tons of work to do (and am taking just a little break here).

Fighting with S I freaking hate, though.

And on an even darker note. I found out last night at EFM that a woman I knew in our church, someone very vibrant and healthy and about 60 or so, died of an aneurysm in her aorta this week. Bip. Dead, dead. We weren't close, but since my little parish has an older population, I can think of three deaths of people I passed the peace to every week just in the last year. My father called me this week and told me an old family friend whose children I hung out with in high school died. She was 63. My dad actually dated her for about a year before his current wife (her best friend). Her son introduced me to my first girlfriend. I hadn't seen her in twenty years and I got to visit with her last time I was at my dad's house; I'm glad I got that at least. She, too, is gone.

Death hurts.

I don't have St. Paul's level of confidence, yet anyway. I surely can't explain the mind/soul issue or the nature of the afterlife (he couldn't explain it either). But I hate to see people, even believers, go. I suppose having those I love die is part of getting older; the awareness of my own mortality grows stronger with each. My grandfather, grandmother, aunt, an uncle, a first cousin...all in the ground less than three hours' drive from here. People, when I was a child, who seemed like fixtures in the universe. Death really is the final question. If these minds continue to exist, they surely can't contact me about it.

But this is all I have time for. Reading Scarlet Letter for school and a coule sci-fi books since I'm teaching that next semester and refuse to get slammed on prep. next spring the way I'm getting slammed now. Be well all. Sorry to see Theology Mom go offline (another loss) and happy to see Twyla going on vacation though I'll miss her whymsical mysticism. I'm behind on everyone's blog, I know. But I've forgotten none of you; I'm a loyal Harry Potter kind of guy.

Comments

KMJ said…
I think you should read the rest of the novels too... They're great.

t as Harry. I can see it! :) I'm sorry about your tough week. Sometimes the death of someone who you're not even close too can really drive bits of our humanity to the surface. :)

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....