Heatwave

I only have a couple minutes before I head out for church, but the temperatures in California continue to smash records and we now have a midwest style humidity level we almost never have. Last night it barely cooled off and tonight is supposed to be more of the same.

To make things even more dismal, our refrigerator up and quit two days ago. I checked the warranty and it expired three months ago. Five years and three months. The technician I explained the 'symptoms' to told me it was probably the sealed-system...six to eight hundred bucks to repair. I might just want to get a new fridge. Or, for a hundred bucks, he can come up here and 'confirm' his diagnosis.

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

So we have no cool anything in the house. I can't say how much colc milk is worth, in human terms.

Sure things could be worse. My wife works at a hospital and people die in front of her all the time, some younger than me. I could be in Lebanon. But still, this is a tough week. Yesterday was our anniversary; we drove to the coast to cool off (2.5 hours without traffic; it took us 4 hours to get there), came home and feel asleep under the near-jungle air. It's creepy.

Anyway, today after church I fridge shop. And the temperatures are supposed to drop to summer normals by Tuesday (let's hope). My house is generally 11 degrees cooler than the valley, so it still gets warm. But 100 degrees in the valley means 89 here; not too shabby. I'm still looking into air conditioning because it often gets warmer than that and this latest spell is changing my body chemistry I swear. It's a great way to lose weight: I'm hardly hungry during the day.

***

On another quick note, thanks to all who link here for being cool about the name change (though some haven't seen it yet I'm sure). My original blog title I liked but I had published an article with that name and when I looked it up on the internet there was my full name, my college, everything. Too many people at work knew the phrase. So I changed it in a hurry while listening to the old Tull album Songs from the Wood. I don't really do hymns here, at least not yet. For me, the new title fits. Though no doubt I inend to keep sharing personal content here. A big chunk of the blog is dedicated to what Chesterton calls "The Riddle of the Gospels;" especially, how that riddle converges with human need and spirituality and longing. But this is still amblog, personal blog, a place to be heard when I need to be heard, which for me, is pretty often.

Love to all. Heading down to to my (air conditioned) parish for services. May the Body of Christ touch my wounded heart and mind as it has before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....