A Quick Post

another sitting in my office quickie post.

I am taking my time with Brian for good reasons (and now will be watching and maybe participating in another online discussion of the book; see the comment below). When I was young(er) I was the quickest parrot in the birdcage. I had a fast response, usually wrong and borrowed from someone else, for every theological question. Brian's book has introduced me to the emergent church; that diverse movement, and his representation of it, deserves time.

In the meantime and as I think about my response, I am rereading the gospels, especially Luke and John; rereading Wright, especially his section on Judgement in JVG. For there he finalizes the leap he began in NTPG: a highly realized eschatology. I know he does not like that term, prefers "ignaural" eschatology, and discusses that in both books; fair enough. But it must be admitted, so many verses Christians have taken to refer to hell fire and a final day of judgement after death Wright goes after with single minded tenacity: these are current day prophetic warnings against Israel and especially Jerusalem. Some scriptural writings do clearly teach a resurrection of the dead, including the gospels (Mark and John I can say without doubt), and NTW is not negating that, I think. Still, I can see why emergent has latched onto at least that part of his exegesis. It lies behind chunks of EMC, for sure.

So, there you go. I'm busy but good. Have given up all alcohol for lent and am once again enjoying this very special season (once more, I am so glad to be a liturgical). I love serving communion at the altar whenever I am the Eucharistic minister/chalice bearer. In fact, I have known nothing like it. How lucky I am to experience that! What a gift to my life which has been so much struggle and suffering looking back!

But I must run. Students waiting :)

Sincere love to all, and more on BDM soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....