Ski Ya

I wrote a while back about how my fear of heights had kept me from learning to ski or snowboard. Considering I live, at most, 40 minutes from a major Tahoe resort this is kinda sad. I had a friend take me up maybe three weeks ago and show me some basics but I chickened out on taking the lift all the way to the top of the mountain.

Tomorrow my son's school is having a snow day and dammit, I'm going to the top if I have to put a bag on my head or close my eyes and chant all the way (someone let me know when to lift my board tip please).

This accomplishment, if I actually pull it off (and survive the trip back down the mountain!) will be a very big step for me.

Also, my skipper is planning a sailing trip for two weeks this July in the sea of cortez. Hitch: flying to La Paz. If you read you know I've never flown on a commercial plane in my life and it is my biggest phobia. My wife has already said she's going. One guy is going to drive: two weeks each way, he says. Two weeks driving down baha sounds hella more dangerous to me than the freaking three hour flight. Prayers are appreciated. As I said, this is my biggest phobia (besides, oh, impending knowledge of outright sudden death which is what I feel when I even think of flying) and much of my exposure work is leading directly to that first flight.

Will I get xanax or some other med for the first time up? Probably. What's wrong with that? I haven't had a med like that in twenty years.

My bro just called; great discussion about what's going on in the Edge of Faith blog. He is going to look for some scholarly books for me from this side of the fence.

It remains my belief that one chapter of John's gospel (which I see no reason to date late, even last among the four) contains more religous force than every thing I've read in the pagan canon or any other religious text.

Homer and Hesiod spiritual? Not really. Sophocles spiritual? Yes, sure; we live at the whim of the gods.

But not this:

When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"

Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

So they asked him, "What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

"Sir," they said, "from now on give us this bread."

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.



For me, the Voice retains its power. Do not look for miracles, do not listen to Moses. Find the Bread of Life, and eat.

t

Comments

Bread of Life dialogue. Good stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....