What Really Worries Me

This is not a political blog; I don't know much about politics. Nevertheless, in the past I've expressed my belief that invading Iraq when and how we did was idiotic because it has hindered the actual war on terror and will likely end up leaving something in place in that country which is far from the western style democracy the current administration envisions. Our administration has assumed a free vote will result in a civilly free and open market society. More so, that those in Iraq will soon discover the soft luxuries of western living on a broad scale, tivo and personal computers and fast food; that they will embrace the societal plurality, the cultural freedoms, we value (freedom of religion, speech, the press). This in turn will lead to alliance, at least amity, with the west. Time will tell; this is a grandiose vision.

What really worries me is that I have a son who will soon be fourteen. He is the most beautiful human being I know. He is conscientous, sensitive, and intelligent. He has thirteen-year-old dreams for his life, healthy dreams, normal for his age. Steph and I have tried to give him the emotional environment we did not have, and overall, I think we've done pretty well.

When I read about our administration's recent sale of nuclear weapons to India I am puzzled. Still more, in light of the hard line stance the administration is taking with Iran. Just today the news is more bleak than ever. Our own nation has essentially unlimited nuclear capability; our western allies all have these weapons and we're expanding that fact in India; we've given them to Israel, but if Iran develops a bomb, or begins to, it seems we're ready to bomb or even invade their country to stop them. In short, kill people.

And what would be the consequences in the Arab world if we did that? If we look like bloody imperialists now (and to millions we do) what would we be then? The only bright side, if there is one, is that key European allies support the hard line with Iran. At least we wouldn't look any worse in Europe than we already do.

Now I realize Iran's government is not exactly pro-western, but frankly, the Arab world is trying to join the global community and they will feel nukes are going to be part of that, especially with Israel having nukes so close to their borders; they will see them as defensive to the Israeli threat. Are we going to bomb each Arab nation into oblivion as their technology and thirst for these awful weapons expands?

This is all very, very scary. For me what is going on in Iraq is scarier than bird flu or the ice sheets melting. It is an obvious fact that warfare needs to devolve from human culture as it has in Western Europe (after centuries of killing each other; I leave out the tragic exception in Ireland and of course the violence in the east). Will it? I don't know. But I have no doubt violence should always be a last resort. The current adminstration, none of whom have been in combat that I can recall, have shown their willingness to sacrifice American lives for any number of reasons; worse, to minimize political fallout they have put whatever spin on their actions they can, and while troops are getting blown up by roadside bombs every week or day in Iraq (in underarmored vehicles) that country descends into greater and greater violence, and when we leave will almost surely end with a government which favors Iran and Iran's larger goals in the region.

Since when has violence applied from without been an effective ideology for change?

And I come back to my son. In six years he will be registered with selective service. If we have wars running on several fronts through the region, unless allies in Europe and elsewhere kick in troops to manage Iran, will there be a draft? Will my son's life be ruined or taken? I know I'm getting ahead of myself, and it's too early to worry about trouble I don't have, but this fear seems more rational than most of my fears.

I think, frankly, the current administration will go down in history as short-sighted fools who cost our country thousands of lives, billions of dollars, and whose actions led to the deaths of tens of thousands abroad, many of them civilians. Only great luck in Iraq will show them otherwise.

I end with two quotes. A few years ago, reading some column or other about invading Iraq (not the best citation, I know) it was said that most in the administration wanted to go to Bahgdad, but 'real men want to go to Tehran.' Really? Then get your middle-aged ass into uniform and learn to load and shoot a rifle and line up. I wish I knew the provenance of that quote; if actually used, it is arrogant adolescent stupidity, the kind that has gotten beautiful young men killed for millenia.

The second is from Matthew's gospel, chapter 5,

"Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God."

(For an interesting rant on all this, besides a brief and weak foray into gospel criticism, try Kurt Vonnegut's article HERE).

I do not want a son sent off to fight and either die or kill and suffer permanent change for oil when our government has allowed SUV's by the million, vehicles which get gas mileage in the teens. For an adminstration that cannot dialogue with other nations because of its insular arrogance and hypocrisy. An administration that, before it came together under W (the Vulcans), favored a more active role for our military abroad.

Am I naive? Yeah, sure. Do I underestimate the threat a nuclear equipped Iran would pose? Probably. Top whom though? To us? I know what some in India would like to do with their nukes. Perhaps if India and Pakistan actually do nuke each other along the border someday, besides millions dying quicky and slowly, Bin Laden will at least be killed, something our own massive military has been unable to effect (with most of our massive military running patrols in Iraq).

What I do know is that I abhor violence, I don't want my son to know it, and my dearest prayer is that he never does.

What can I do? Nothing really. Vote. Buy a Prius (we're on the waiting list at a local dealer). Pray. Share my anxiety and anger here. That's about it.

The beatitudes, in my opinion, are for their length the strongest religious writing in world literature. Quite a contast with the Yahweh war god of Joshua. I don't know if they are expanded from Q (Luke's version is much terser and contains the curses) or actually a piece of Matthew's direct recollection of the teachings of Jesus. I consider both possible. I do know they are exquisite. As Vonnegut argues, why are so many Christians in cultural war over the Ten Commandments in the courtroom? Why not have the Beatitudes there? Or in the oval office, for that matter? How about the Pentagon?

May God preserve all our children and all the children in every part of the world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....