Almost Famous

I haven't had time for blog, but the quick update is:

I had a good weekend. Steph and I had company for the first time since the summer; someone from work Saturday night (ham, my grandmother's candied yams, green beans, homemade pumpkin pies...oh yeah) and then also on Sunday night as my dear older friends around the corner, my surrogate parents, came by (fondue: three cheeses, sherry, kirsch, nutmeg, garlic). Both nights were good. It was great to have S home, to be cleaning house together, cooking and having friends.

Friday night was harder.

I know a Genuine Rockstar through my wife (her friend lived with him for years and had his child); another guy in his band is a Near-Rockstar, or NR, and S went to high school with NR and still cares for him. Whenever I've met Mr. Near-Rockstar, he's been genuine and told me over and over how cool my wife is, how beautiful she is inside and out (hard not to like a guy like this). S and I have been to a handful of shows in different clubs near us over the last couple years. This time they were local again, and I had my Almost Famous moment: 'backstage' for the first time, in a little cubby closet in a small club (the band is not doing any big shows which is amazing to me); while sitting with S, I met my first groupie (sort of met, she was introduced to the room like a delivered pizza); I saw the ice bin full of beers and the gallon of tequila, gratis, for the band.

All this could have been fun. NR is genuinely talented and the band has had a couple of hits he's written; it wouldn't surprise me if they went big. But then, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. A couple years ago we saw them in two years ago and NR just got out of rehab. He was rehab name-dropping, if you can believe that. Rick James was in with him. Rick James, the funk genius, was found dead not long after he was discharged with nine drugs in his bloodstream. And now, clearly, though no hard drugs were used in our presence, hard drugs are in this band. I would like to use much more profanity in my non-theology posts in this blog than I do (it would be so much more true to life) but I don't want to alienate other Christians. Let me say, though, that the motherfucking pipe kills all that is normal in life. My wife was very sad about the whole night, the show, all of it, sad and angry. It was very dark. NR came in after we'd been in the cubby a while, bouncing off the floor and ceiling, glazed to the peak (a phrase I believe I just invented). Later, when he said he was on the downhill, I said, "Just be careful you don't go too far down, man;" his intense eyes met mine and he said, "yeah, I hear you brother." I don't know that he did. I told him my wife loved him, and hence I'd help him any way I could. Told him to let me know if he needs anything, any help at all. He made a gesture to show me the offer went both ways, and then kept bouncing.

Rockstar life. Yikes. Free tequila, not to mention constantly proferred sex and unlimited drugs of every variety, these can't be good for the soul. Based on my limited experience, why do so many use so hard? There are probably many reasons, childhood experiences high on the list. But my sense (based on all of two examples) is there are enormous pressures on the band to produce new hit music, and many believe drugs help creativity while also helping to manage the tension that comes from needing to produce; plus, like the groupies, drugs ease the inhuman nature of touring on the road. For a bit.

***

I don't have time to blog anymore. I'm doing pretty well in life, something I wish to savor, though I have several blogs in draft and no time to finish any of them! I'm still married and not a drug addict, and but there for the grace of God go I. I took EFM off this week and stayed home with my family and cooked for them. What a treat that was. Sometimes the cure for having too much on the plate is to shove something off the plate and not look at it.

I see a physical therapist tomorrow about my back injury (going on what, ten weeks or more). I'm hopeful about that, though the last couple of days I've felt better. Probably because I haven't exercised in over two weeks! I'm resting, which is both hard and good.

Love to all. More to come when I have time. Pray for our friend, Near-Rockstar. May he live long and well enough to find God's peace.

Comments

Sandalstraps said…
The addict in my life has been clean for long enough now that, until I read your post I'd almost fogotten the anxiety that comes with watching a bright young talented person destroy themselves in front of you. And there's nothing you can do about it except hang around long enough to help pick up the pieces when they break.
Tenax said…
Chris,

as always, your comments are appreciated. And congrats on the writing work!

t
Gentlemen:

I can hardly concur that a Rockstar is someone who is imbued with talent. To me the Rockstar is someone who embodies the idea of taking minimal talent and through the machinations of a mass marketing machine projecting himself as insightful, talented, etc. A Rockstar is the full embodiment of a genius marketing plan and not much else. Is it only irony that the Rockstar symbolizes a person in our age to whom all eyes should turn in reverence?

Why don't we say that such a person is a real "jazzer" or a "principal cellist." Those people have real musical chops. No. In this cultural moment Americans are enamored of the popular at the expense of the extraordinary and gifted. It's such a cheap age, willing to sell its allegiance to the first crass ploy.

And, of course, it is this impulse which drives us to our various collective "divinity schools," places where the divine is still appreciated, where mediocrity is not the standard which we must assiduously apply.

Today at the dinner table my six-yerar-old said: nobody knows when God is talking. To this, I added: nobody knows when the devil is listening.

I'm not sure if the Rockstar is someone who is speaking God's difficult dialect (probably not) or whether the Rockstar can channel what the devil eavesdrops. In most cases I don't care what the case is. But please, people, can't we find a different metaphor for our age?
Anonymous said…
When I was 32 years old I finished my Ph.D. in Biblical Literature and Exegesis, magna cum laude, no less. I also finished 6 years of teaching in the Biblical Department of Princeton Theological Seminary. I was given a full professorship at New York Theological Seminary, which was dying a slow death from lack of students and funds. I went to Maryville College in TN as Chair of the department of philosophy and religion. After 6 years and no tenure I was forced to leave. I wandered around for 3 years and finally took a residency in pastoral psychotherapy. With great gratification I spent 25 years as a therapist. My advice to you is to forget the Ph. D. Unless you have good ties to seminaries and colleges, you won't find a job. My point is that it is more valuable to work with people and offer them the gospel of Christ and his loving care.

P. S. the mainline churches are dying of old age. That is why I am in a new church that offers the Holy Spirit to my once dead spiritual life and love and support from a loving people and mine to them.
'

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....