Winter White

Though we live far apart, Sherry and I are writing about the same thing: snow is coming. It's in the mid thirties outside now, but a significant system is supposed to move in tomorrow afternoon and turn to snow through Monday. Our first true winter front. Cold. White. Hope my son is up to shovelling because with my back I surely am not. I always wondered what would happen if I couldn't get up at 5:00 on a snowy morning to dig out my wife's Subaru...it looks like I'll see this winter.

My rant below, days old, really did help my mood. It's been so long though I'm almost ready for another one! My back remains injured, probably a ligament or tendon which feeds into my hip is torn or strained, and recovery has been slow, slow. Bloody slow. I bought my Danskin ball, though. It's about all the exercise I'm supposed to do. The hard thing is that I use my back so many ways, for exercise, yes, but also for all kinds of work around here, especially in winter.

Other than that, as a fan of Carol Ballard's Never Cry Wolf I was quite pleased to see The Snow Walker for the first time yesterday. What a magical piece of film. The myth of the North has long been with me; it's part of what got me into the mountains. Some day I'm going to visit the art festival in Inuvik.

This post is not going to be anything significant, just a check in. I continue to read the NT and books about the NT. I continue to be busy at church, home, and lastly but not leastly, at school. I had a wonderful thanksgiving; S and I cooked our brains out for our family of three and my mother. I love holidays. I also love this year's Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Highly recommended. And I've been sipping the Glenfidditch in the evening (I have to find Bowmore for a decent price); life could be hella worse.

Love to all. More later.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ben is so anxious for snow, I am looking forward to it too, but he missed it all last year - out of town each time it snowed.

When Ben had the worst of his back troubles, it completely changed his personality. I hope this winter is a mild one for you up there.
Sandalstraps said…
I just remembered - I don't know how I'd forgotten it 'til now - the time I strained ligaments in my back roadying for a band in high school. I couldn't get out of bed for a couple of days, and struggled with it for over a year. And that was as a teenager!

Here I've been bitching about my wrist, and only now am I starting to remember what back pain is like. No way would I trade you injuries!

And, as much as I love snow, neither would I trade you weather. I'm sure that we'll get ours soon enough, but for now it is 70 degrees and sunny. I'm heading over to the park across the street from our house as soon as the boy gets up from his afternoon nap.

We almost skipped fall this year, with cold weather coming in for most of October. Halloween was perhaps the most miserable night of the year, cold and wet, carrying a grumpy Winnie-the-Pooh around the neighborhood trying to show everyone how cute he is. But, finally, as November poises itself to turn into December, and as fall could be reasonably expected to give way to winter, we have the weather we missed for most of the season.

Enjoy the snow as I enjoy the sunshine!
Tenax said…
Hey you two,

I love the feedback. I feel supported as in the 'old' day of blog! Many thanks. Phyiscal therapy (and rest) is helping.

It was 26 degrees when I left my house this morning. Amazing how all moisture becomes solid at that temperature.

t

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....