June Film Review

In case you guys are out of netflix ideas, here goes:

The June Film Review:

Baran: B+ /recommended. A human glimpse inside modern Iran.

Behind the Sun: B+ /an honest portrayal of blood feud, and some gorgeous cinematography.

Citizen Ruth: B- /this film centers on abortion debate issues; it's funny, but also dark; certainly will cause discussion/reaction. Dern handles her role well.

In America: A- /recommended for its optimism and poignant familial themes.

Hated: C /a passable documentary, but the most sickening footage I've ever seen. My least favorite movie of all time.

Spun: B+ /an original, and very adult, film about meth sub-culture; should be NC-17 for sexual content; troubling and stark, but well-acted and intense.

Fahrenheit 911: A- /recommended. Okay, this one is at the theatre, and such a controversial film deserves its own post; as a 'lib', I have issues with Moore's method and precision at times, but the film is very moving. One negative review asked 'do we really need to see what war looks like?' Yes. We're in one. Some powerful footage, whatever your spin. At least see it to form an opinion.

Enjoy.

t

Comments

KMJ said…
I saw In America, and enjoyed it very much. I loved the images of family coming together during dismal circumstances. (Though the Carnival bottle-pitch scene was almost too much for me to watch...) Based on your description, I would like to see Baran and Behind the Sun too.
Tenax said…
Karen,

thanks for reading. I'm no film critic, and my wife actually picks almost all our movies; I know how frustrating it is to find the good ones out there. Have fun.

t
Tenax said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....