Keith Green

I'm catching up on work now that the initial shock over the work stuff is over. And as I have napster, somehow I ended up listening to the old Keith Green albums. I saw Keith, just weeks or months before he died, at the Long Beach arena. I was 17 I think. And my brother, who was churched before I was, had one or two of the albums. My high school girlfriend, who sang in a catholic guitar mass, was a big fan.

And you know, his music, his lyrics, really are astounding. He had such intensity; he saw his faith in sermon on the mount terms. I like it. His constant calls to service of others are so impressive.

The fact that he died at 28 with two of his little children, leaving his wife, a baby, and an unborn baby behind, is incredible to me. He wasn't martyred; he just died in a stupid plane accident. If I remember right the pilot overloaded the plane. Keith wanted to take his kids on a plane ride and the plane was too crowded. Of course, only the pilot could have known that.

How tragic. How unexplainable. I can't find meaning in it. There isn't any. And it conflicts with any belief that God somehow has a plan of events which governs our lives; it seems anyone, including Keith Green, really is vulnerable to accident and disaster. How could God leave behind his poor wife after all they had done for the Kingdom? I have no answer to that.

The first bible study I was in at an episcopal church was a great group. There was a truck driver in our group, no advanced education, not a reader. And his take was, 'if God has a plan, there's no way any of us could understand it.' I have to agree. That would be true almost by definition. But our feelings, our losses, our griefs remain. Why was James beheaded in Acts, and Stephen stoned, when Peter was rescued? No idea.

But Keith left behind an impressive musical legacy; it still touches people, even me. I'm no expert in Christian music, but just sitting here listening I think it would be tough to find his equal in his generation, or since.

And you know, S hadn't called me like she usually does when she drives home from campus (her university is an hour away, and she walks to her car at night!) and the blog was scaring the pee out of me. I have separation anxiety still. She just called though, and I'm going to make he a grilled cheese and tomato soup when she comes home. How luck am I? I'm alive, and I still have my family. Mikey, though he is slowly becoming test-boy, competetive, cocky, sports driven (girls, oh my gosh, around the corner) is still a sweet boy. He still gets that look in his eyes he had when he was a little boy sometimes.

Well, I have to finish my work before S comes home. Peace to all,

Troy

Comments

KMJ said…
I had a couple of Keith Green albums (or tapes of albums?) back in college. I haven't heard any of his music in probably 12-15 years. Recalls good memories -- thanks for this post.

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....