On My Birthday

Because I am one of those with a high need to be heard, here goes:

I knew when I began grappling class injuries were a concern. Currently a tendon in my knee is tweaked, my neck has been shot for two weeks, and the left side of my lower back is pretty well wounded. I see a massage therapist Wednesday and hope for some help.

The guys try not to hurt you, but my older body is not as resilient. And, oddly, they fear my kickboxing because they've seen me work the bag. So even if I'm boxing very light, my dear 240 pound friend will charge in and yank down on my neck like a small condominum (that is the way to stop a good puncher).

On the plus side, I'm losing weight (a very little I think) and my wind is coming back. And even though I'm hurt, I love the training.

***

9/11 is a tough day for a birthday, but barring loving community in the next life, it's better than no birthday. I keep the tv off and read very little online news. Still, seeing just a few slides on msnbc, I have cried today over that dark panorama. Why the hell not? Whenever and wherever vendetta thrives, or another group becomes the Other group, humans are capable of this kind violence. That an aberrant view of religion was also responsible is sobering as well. Theology, perhaps, matters. Love, the central claim of my own religion, certainly does.

Love to all. Special shouts to Chris and Romy and my brother, if he still reads.

Comments

Sandalstraps said…
Troy,

Happy birthday!

All of my training of late has been on a tennis court, where, while I might hurt my back or my knee from time to time, 240 pound mosters are less likely to slam me to the ground!
Tenax said…
Or in tennis, at least, they'd apologize.

Sincere thanks.

t
romaryka said…
i was early, and now i'm late. but happy birthday, friend, and yes - love matters.

:)

Popular posts from this blog

First Step and the Consiliari

Hey Gang

Wanting to Come Back....